Am I eligible to take the basic driver improvement course? What are the requirements/limitations for the driver school? How can I keep the points off of my driver's license? Where can I find a list of the Florida approved traffic schools?
To keep points off your license, you may pay the ticket AND elect to attend a Basic Driver Improvement Court (4 hour) for civil infraction citations (non-criminal).
The Driver Improvement Course option may NOT be available if:
1. Your traffic violation requires a mandatory court appearance (i.e. speeding in excess of 30+mph over posted speed limit; crash with serious bodily injury or fatality, or passing a stopped school bus on the exiting side)
2. You possess a valid Class A, B or C commercial driver's license (CDL)
3. You have elected to attend a Florida approved basic driver improvement course within the last 12 calendar months
4. You have taken a course more than 5 times in your lifetime
6. If you are not a Florida resident - you should first check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles to ensure that your state accepts the Florida Basic Driver Improvement courses to remove points from your license.
If you qualify to attend the course and choose this option, you must pay the required amount of your citation AND an additional $7 affidavit fee within 30 days of the offense date.
To elect by mail you may print the Driver Improvement School Election Affidavit from our website at www.okaloosaclerk.com. The affidavit must be notarized and should accompany a cashier's check or money order in the amount of your citation plus the additional $7 affidavit fee.
Failure to provide the completion certificate within 90 days of electing to attend the driver improvement course will result in the suspension of your driver's license and additional fees of $41. To reinstate your license, the $41 fee must be paid
You may find a list of approved Florida courses by visiting www.flhsmv.gov. The clerk's office is unable to recommend a course to you.