How do I change my name on my passport?

For full instructions and information please visit the

You may obtain forms from either the clerk's office or from the website.

If you are changing your name within one year of the date your passport was issued you will need to complete Form DS-5504: Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement.  You will not be charged a fee for this service.  

If you are changing your name more than a year after your passport was issued you must submit Form DS-82: Application for Passport by Mail.  You must pay all applicable fees passport renewals.

    NOTE:  The clerk's office does not process the paperwork for change of name on passports.  These forms, once completed should be mailed to the address indicated on the website.  The clerk's office is unable to advise to which address you should mail your passport forms.

Was this article helpful?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Our award-winning customer care team is here for you.

Contact Support