How do I dispute a traffic ticket in court? (Contest citation) How do I file a written plea of not guilty?

You may choose to enter a Not Guilty plea and contest the traffic citation in court. To do this, you must notify the Clerk in writing within 30 days of the date that the citation was issued. The necessary forms are located on our website at under the heading of Departments, Traffic Tickets.
You may deliver this completed form to the Clerk's office in person, by mail or email to within 30 days of the compliance date. When you choose this option, you plead not guilty and you waive your right to pay the fine or elect to attend a driver improvement course.
Once the clerk receives your not guilty plea in writing, you will receive a notice advising you of the date and time of your hearing.
If you reside outside of Okaloosa County, you may attend in person at your own expense. Your case may also be heard at the hearing by way of an Affidavit of Defense. This form is located on our website at under the heading of Departments, Traffic Tickets, at the bottom of the page it states contest the ticket in court.
Subpoenas will be issued for the law enforcement officer as well as any witnesses listed on the citation or crash report (if applicable).
You are responsible for making sure any witnesses you want to testify appear at the hearing.
The court may impose a fine up to $500. (In cases of speed in a school zone, work zone or a death, fine may be up to $1,000) or may require you to attend a Driver Improvement Course or both.

Was this article helpful?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Our award-winning customer care team is here for you.

Contact Support