How can I initiate a payment plan? Can I initiate a payment plan on my overdue fines (CT, TR, MM & CF)?

In order to be eligible to enroll in a payment plan, you cannot be on active probation.  

If you have any questions concerning administration fees or any part of your agreement, please contact the Court Financial Services team via phone at 850-651-7200 ext. 4350 or email at

You may apply for a payment plan on any case(s) where you are not on active probation, provided the amount due exceeds $100. If the case or cases you are seeking to pay have been sent to collections and/or have had a payment plan which previously defaulted, you are not eligible for a new payment plan.  In these circumstances, you must either pay the balance in full or call Penn Credit at 800-900-1380 to make arrangements to resolve the balance due.  It may take up to 90 days from the D6 issue date for Penn Credit to receive complete information on your case(s). 

If your case(s) have not been sent to Penn Credit and have never had a payment plan, you may initiate a payment plan upon payment of D6 fees (if applicable) AND Payment Plan fees ($25 per case).

Beginning a payment plan requires signing an agreement.  You may do so at either courthouse in Crestview or Fort Walton Beach.  If you are unable to sign up in person, there are fillable forms available at Click on the self-help center, go to self-help packages, select the "payment plan agreement.pdf" form or click here. If you are out of state, upon request, we may email the application to you. NOTE: The payment plan agreement MUST be completed and signed by the individual who is named in the case and responsible for the fees.

When printing the packet from our website, complete numbers 1-6 on the application and bring or mail the application to our office to obtain specific monthly payment information.  A $25 administration fee for each case will be assessed at the time the plan is initiated. NOTE:  The clerk's office does not accept personal checks.   If mailing your documents, please include the applicable remittance as certified funds payable to Clerk of Court.

Upon receipt of your contract and proper administration fees, your completed contract will be provided to you via the email address indicated on the application.   It will include your monthly and total payment amounts as well as your scheduled due dates.

Once your payment plan is established you may make your payments online or via telephone through our third-party vendor nCourt at (855) 893-7926.                           

When paying for a payment plan in person, you must have either the payment plan number and/or the case number for us to allocate the payment correctly. We suggest taking a photo of the top portion of the payment plan contract from your cell phone, this will be an easy way for you to supply the information to the intake clerk.

When paying by telephone or online, you must have your case number (at least one - if multiple cases) to process your payment.

Was this article helpful?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Our award-winning customer care team is here for you.

Contact Support