How does a bondsman surrender a bond? Can a bond be surrendered by a bondsman if the bond has been forfeited?

Surrendering a bond

A bondsman surrenders a bond by taking the defendant to the jail to turn him in, and request that the bond be surrendered. The bondsman must then file with the clerk an affidavit of arrest and surrender for that specific bond. 

There are no filing fees associated with this process.

The bond may be surrendered by following the above process even if the bond has been forfeited.  

If the bondsman wants the forfeiture to be overturned, a request by the bondsman will need to be submitted to the Judge presiding over the case. NOTE: Overturning a forfeiture does not also surrender the bond.

Was this article helpful?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Our award-winning customer care team is here for you.

Contact Support